Monday, April 18, 2011

Extreme Couponing


After watching a few episodes of TLC’s Extreme Couponing I decided to start researching it for myself. Seriously, what ‘keeper of the home’ doesn’t want to be a good steward of the resources we’ve been given? If I can figure out how to make my budget go just a little bit further it’ll be worth it right? Right. So my search begins. I have noticed a few things about couponing:


  • · It takes lots of time & planning
  • · You must be extremely organized
  • · You need some storage space to house your buys
  • · Most food coupons are for prepackaged (usually unhealthy foods) and RARELY for fresh fruits/veggies
  • · It’s harder to meal plan and shop based on the plan. It appears to work better the other way around. Shop the bargains and plan meals around what you get.
  • · You can’t shop with all your kids in tow

Several of those do not appeal to me or do not fit the way our family functions at all. So, I’m going to try an experiment. I do like the idea of stockpiling household items: Paper towels, toilet paper, toiletries, etc. Things we buy on a regular basis and that I won’t make for myself.

I’m starting here: http://www.weusecoupons.com/index.php?pageid=virtualclasses

It is a website started by a guy who has been featured on Extreme Couponing. And seems pretty well organized. Best of all, it’s FREE.

There are 31 virtual classes that address all different aspects of couponing, from how to get started/organized, to stockpiling, to where to find coupons. I’ll watch the videos one by one and devise a plan. And, I’ll share what I learn here.

I’m hoping for the best but trying to keep a realistic perspective. Most things that I’ve read have said that those $1,000 shopping trips for $50 almost never happen. A more realistic goal is to save 50-75% per trip.

If you want to trek along with me you can register on the website: www.weusecoupons.com . You can put me down as a referral – jlbrowning. I’ll be posting more helpful links in the future.

2 comments:

Lori said...

sorry, they're not videos. Just articles :)

Dathel said...

I have been doing it for a while now - if you need any help - let me know. I just scored 60.00 worth of needed items for 20.00 at CVS (and that's cause i bought candy too :)

Also try out:

www.krazycouponlady
www.mydallasmommy

its sooooo worth it, I save an average of 40 - 50% buying food that we actually eat.