Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A First...

So I think that I'll start a series of blogs about relationships, some mine, sometimes others... We'll see where this goes.

Today I want to tell you about my first kiss. It didn't happen when I was twelve, or even sixteen. I remember turning sixteen and a family friend saying in a sing-sing voice "Sweet Sixteen and Never Been Kissed". If she only knew how true it was. And despite all of the heckling from one Jeremy P. about smooching Daniel E. or Philip H. I never kissed anyone in high school... I was 18.

The summer after I graduated I got a job working as a hostess in a restaurant downtown. I liked the job, was good at it and in the company of my co-workers I experienced other firsts not accustomed to my "sheltered" life.

I has pretty active in my church's college group and had a good core group of friends. One of these friends was kind of cute and we spent a lot of time together in small group settings. His best friend was dating my best friend so it was inevitable that we would be the "other" couple. Without ever verbalizing an interest in me I thought maybe we were just flirty people. Then one night he showed up at my job. Sat at the bar and drank a coke. He asked if I wanted to go see a movie when I got off. I was super excited. You have to remember that I had never really been asked out before* and a cute guy was doing the asking. So, I did what most girls would do. I lied to my boss to get off early so I could go to the movie.

We saw Snake Eyes and held hands, I think, and afterwards we went to IHOP. We chatted, ate and decided it was way to late to be out. We drove in separate cars because I lived nearby, so he walked me to my car. Keep in mind this young man was almost a foot taller than me, so the goodnight hug that turned into a kiss was awkward to begin with, despite the fact that it was a new experience.

We dated, sort of, after that but not for very long. I let the relationship fade and started seeing someone else. It took me awhile after the fact to realize that I really did like him, but it was too late. He dated and then married a friend of mine. And that's a little weird because I remember sitting on a bed relaying the event to my gal pals, and she was one of them. I'm sure she's probably told him what I said about it, including the fact that I was taken completely by surprise and the fact that he tried to stab me with his tongue didn't help.

I know. Not super exciting. When I started typing it played out a lot better in my head...

* I was asked out ONCE by the aforementioned Philip H. But I got in trouble for something and grounded so we never got to go out... Believe me, I gave my mom all kinds of grief about that one.

2 comments:

Mr. Browning said...

Ha! That's funny. Who was this guy?

Lori said...

Jeff C. You've never met him. He's married to Shelley.