Thursday, November 10, 2011

E2 - 28 Day Challenge - Day 4

Green Leafy Wrap from E2 website


On The Menu
Breakfast: Strawberries on Toast
Lunch: Green Leafy Wrap & Stir-fry
Dinner: Chalupas with Salsa

What We Actually Ate
Breakfast: Simple Cereal with strawberries and bananas
Lunch: I had the green leafy wraps and the kids had chicken noodle soup w/ PB and honey sandwiches (Vegan FAIL). We ate all the stir-fry the night before so there weren't any leftovers.
Dinner: we ate out at Fuzzy's. Once again the kids had non-vegan fare (a salad with fish, shrimp tacos, cheese nachos) Graham and I had the grilled veggie burrito, without the cheese, and a side of potatoes.
Dessert: Vegan Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

My Thoughts:
I'm kind of failing at this when it comes to the kids. They've been pretty good at at least trying everything I make but there have been several times when they just won't eat it. The green leafy wraps were NOT a big hit. You blanch some collard greens, spread hummus over the leaf & top with veggies. Roll and slice. For me the hummus was a deal maker. I wasn't a fan of the taste of the collard greens (needed some bacon ;)) but the rest of it was fine. I ate mine but I didn't want to force the kiddos to eat theirs so I raided the pantry. Chelsea did make a salad and ate it before she had her soup so I felt ok about that.

I needed to run to the store to get a few things so when Graham got home we all loaded up and headed out. We saw that the new Fuzzy's on Bryant Irvin was opened so we worked it into our plans knowing that we could eat vegan there with some adaptations. The big girls were willing to forgo their favorites for their vegan counterparts but I had no idea what the littles would eat. Rather than order them something only to have it wasted I let them get nachos and then didn't feel fair about making the big girls eat vegan when the littles didn't have too. But we're going to do better on day5. I am seeing them, especially Chelsea, choose more veggies on their own. I think the healthier options will pay-off in her more than maybe the others. It was hard... REAL hard... eating my veggie burrito, that in it's own right was tasty, knowing just how good the fish tacos were that were sitting inches away. :( We agreed that next time we'll go to Chipotle instead. Less tempting to cheat. I'm learning that guacamole is a great alternative to cheese and sour cream on Mexican food.

I also skipped the late night cup of coffee and have yet to have one this morning.... no headache. Yet....


No comments: