Friday, November 11, 2011

E2 - 28 Day Challenge - Day 5

On The Menu:
Breakfast: Hot Lap Bowl (oatmeal w/ fruit)
Lunch: E2 Basics Tacos
Dinner: Brown Rice & Lentil Burgers

What We Actually Ate:
Breakfast: Simple Cereal w/ fruit - I really like this so I don't think about changing it up to much. We will probably do breakfast tacos on Saturday when Graham is home, but for now this works.

Lunch: Chalupas - We were supposed to have this the night before and then use the leftovers to make tacos for lunch. I thought these were easier.

Dinner: Brown Rice & Lentil Burgers w/ regular old frozen white potato fries

My Thoughts:
I started my day without a headache or feeling the need to rush to the coffee maker even though I didn't get any more sleep than usual. In fact I didn't have my first cup of coffee until 4:30 when my day started to stress me out and I was starting to get the teeny-tinyist bit of a headache. I didn't even finish it before dinner. Don't know why this seems to be changing, if it's the diet or if it's just me....

Lunch was pretty good. The kids gobbled it up. I took organic corn tortillas and put them on a cookie sheet. Stuck them under the broiler for 2 minutes then pulled them out and topped them with some vegan organic refried black beans, shredded romaine lettuce, diced black olives, and a dollop of guacamole. I think I should have turned the tortillas at some point during cooking because some of them were still a little soft in the middle but all in all easy and tasty.

Dinner was interesting. I used leftover rice from our meals earlier in the week which was my first mistake. I think warm rice would have helped the burgers stay together better. I also was out of chili powder so I had to kind of make my own substitute and it wasn't quite the same. This was my first time using lentils and I was surprised at how quickly they cooked. I didn't have to soak them like beans. The recipe had you saute some onions, diced bell pepper, and garlic and add it to the beans and rice, form them into patties and bake for 15 minutes or until they are slightly firm. I had to mash the mixture up with my hands to brake up the lentils so the burger would hold. I think next time I'll add a little more seasoning and blend up the mixture in a food processor, then pan fry them like you would a black bean burger. They might stay together better as these were somewhat crumbly. But the taste was good. We topped ours with mustard and ketchup and had fries on the side. I decent alternative to McDonald's :) Silas was the only one who refused to eat is and I think part of his issue was that he was in a funk.

We are not exercise people but I think next week I'd like to incorporate some into our day, especially with the St. Jude's walk next Saturday. If you haven't checked out our page you can do so here.

No comments: