Thursday, November 03, 2011

28 Days (More or less)


Spelt Blueberry Pancakes from the Engine 2 website


So we've decided to try something... For the month of November, except Thanksgiving Day, our little family will be eating vegan. After watching several documentaries on Netflix and doing some research on my own, on top of stuff I already knew, it just seems like a wise choice. The connection between nutrition & disease is overwhelming, even it's connection to cancer. And the guidelines we've been taught all our lives may not truly be what is best.


I've connected with the website www.Engine2diet.com and have chosen to do the 28 day challenge. The website provides a TON of helpful info including menus, shopping lists, a forum, and recipes. I've had to adjust some things based on our schedule, when we are starting, and my preferences (very little soy, no mushrooms, etc). I want to chronicle our journey here for several reasons:
  1. to keep myself accountable
  2. to share our progress
  3. to encourage others
Why are we going vegan? At this point everyone in my immediate family is 'healthy'. No one in my house is taking prescription meds for any ailments or for preventative measures. I'd like to keep it that way. I've been lucky enough to know 3 out of my 4 grandparents into my adulthood, making me fairly aware of our medical history. This history includes high blood-pressure, thyroid issues, osteoporosis, & on my husband's side, diabetes. As my parents age I am beginning to see some of these issues start to effect them. If there is any way that I can prevent these for myself or my children I want to do it.


Does this mean we'll never eat animal products again? No, it doesn't. We plan on eating Turkey on Thanksgiving and Mackenzie has already requested a trip to Babe's Chicken for her birthday. Graham LOVES ice cream & I LOVE cheese. I just want to cut these things down significantly. The 28 day challenge is just that, a challenge. I want to see if we can do it, change our tastes and my kids' perceptions of 'healthy' food. And to feel first hand the effect food has on our general well-being.


Will we only eat salad? NO WAY! I love salad but there are so many yummy things that fit into the vegan diet, some things you might not have never suspected:
Ghirardelli Hot Chocolate, Cinnamon Life cereal, bagels, guacamole, pasta & pasta sauce (these are just some of my favorites). Now, if I were to just follow the vegan guidelines of "No Animal Products" I could sit down to a breakfast of Fruity Pebbles with soy milk, a tall glass of almond milk with Nesquik chocolate mixed in, followed by a snack of cracker jacks and Famous Amos sandwich cookies. This would NOT be a healthy choice. The benefit comes in making wise choices: whole wheat pastas or Quinoa, oatmeal and fruit, veggies galore, minimal soy & corn, avoiding processed foods, choosing as close to nature as possible.

This past week I've been researching, meal planning, and ridding our pantry, fridge, & freezer of non-diet friendly foods. Tonight I'm making a trek to Whole Foods to get a few things I can't get at my normal grocery store. In the upcoming days I'll share a little more about the science behind making this choice & what I'm learning.

So, I invite you to follow our journey and hopefully you may be encouraged to take the leap too. For your health.


Some 'food' for thought:

(Both on Netflix Instant Watch)

Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead
Forks over Knives

The China Study

Engine 2

3 comments:

Sara said...

The Beautiful Truth is another Netflix doc you might like. I'm trying at least for vegetarian a lot of the time, but we aren't giving up eggs and dairy (well, I can't have dairy right now because Abby has an allergy).

Try roasted okra. Toss cut okra with a little oil, salt, and pepper and put it on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes. Toss it about halfway thru the cooking time.

Sara said...

Glad to know Ghirardeli hot chocolate is dairy-free!

Lori said...

I'll have to check that one out too Sara. Cocoa is vegan so pretty much any cocoa powder is as well. You just have to check and see if there are any milk-derived substances in the cocoa mix. Nestle Nesquik (the powder I guess, I saw it on a list of foods)is vegan friendly too. If you're adding it to a milk alternative you should be good. :)

I'm not a fan of okra but I love roasted veggies :)